Harry Potter locations
Harry Potter locations
Oh, know the perils, read the signs,
the warning history shows,
for our Hogwarts is in danger
from external, deadly foes
And we must unite inside her
or we’ll crumble from within
I have told you, I have warned you…
let the Sorting now begin.
I’ve been waiting for this gifset <3 look how great is is that the houses are interacting and not everything is so black-and-white-and-we-all-hate-slytherin. I love it.
SLYTHERINS HOLDING HANDS WITH GRYFFINDORS
HUFFLEPUFFS DANCING WITH SLYTHERINS
RAVENCLAWS DRINKING AND STUDYING WITH GRYFFINDORS AND HUFFPUFFS
sirius i never understood why you act so guilty like why couldn’t you say “nah im just here to kill the rat” instead of “only one will die tonight”
I think people just haven’t completely grasped the concept that Sirius Black is the biggest drama queen of all time
I think that if voldemort really wanted to kill harry potter the night the spell didn’t work on him he could’ve just picked him up and thrown him out a window given the fact that he was a one year old infant
I fucking swear to god
So far, in terms of my HP fandom links collection, I have:
- 36 views of Hogwarts: an ongoing collaborative project offering different views of Hogwarts from the perspectives of different characters. I’ll let the authors themselves describe it more fully here. Some real gems here. It goes into full-on AU territory at times and whether that’s your cup of tea or not, it never detracts from the writing, which is excellent throughout.
- Amortentiafashion: wizarding fashion with a touch of history. I’ve yanked from this tumblr before on more than one occasion, because it remains one of my favorite blogs on this site. The captions are often very clever and the images are always gorgeous; the mod pulls from all sorts of places, but clearly has a coherent vision of how the wizarding world dresses, and it’s a delight to peek in on it.
- Shafiq28: I wish I’d learned about this earlier than this week. I haven’t had a time to give it the attention it deserves, but it’s part worldbuilding genius, part RP, and completely engrossing all in all. The author is pulling from traditions I am not familiar with, and I find myself sitting back and wanting to be schooled, wanting to know more. They play wonderfully with the Muggle/Magical dichotomy (among others), blurring the lines between these worlds in ways that feel very real.
- The Monster Blog of Monsters: be. Still. My. Heart. Exploring the boundaries of magical zoology in all its glory. The world this author presents is what awaits Rubeus Hagrid at the end of his Kings Cross journey, I think: a heaven of beasts both dangerous and fantastic. Wonderfully imaginative and sometimes spooky, this rings true to canon while still expanding it a little bit with each post.
- Underwater Witchery; another worldbuilding site that’s part RP, and while I’ve had some pushback on advertising RPs at all, I’m bending the rules here for this because of its worldbuilding aspect. So don’t let the RP tag deter you. There isn’t much up here yet, but I’m excited to see how it builds because so far the author has shown a willingness to explore new corners of the wizarding world that we often forget about.
- harrypottermeta: not a story site at all, obviously, but meta has formed the basis for a lot of my worldbuilding so I think it’s a worthy inclusion. For the writers here that work the same way I do, have a hub for the fannish arguments you might want to build on or possibly even demolish in your own stories. Remember: it’s not wank if you can figure out which character might canonically argue for it, and which Ministry department would really want to suppress the idea.
And now to add to the collection! This has been a great month for new Harry Potter fic tumblrs. I’ve had lots of readers chiming in with blog recs. Thank you to all who wrote in. Even if some of those blogs were weren’t really focused on canon worldbuilding and therefore don’t fit the list, you’ve still enriched my fandom experience by introducing me to them. I owe you one. I also owe thanks to tinyfletcher for pointing me to this metafilter post, and to notyourexrotic, who recently put out a buzzfeed post that outlines some of these these sites in greater depth. Both are really worthwhile resources for looking at building the Harry Potter universe.
But, for the purposes of this fortnight’s fic fix, take a look at:
- Field Notes From the Department of Mysteries: bizarre, compelling, and sometimes downright terrifying, this site presents stories as they might be jotted down in an Unspeakable’s journal. Every entry presents new insight into the often dangerous and almost always unsettling Department of Mysteries. The site is more multimedia-focused than this one; at times, the author’s tales will complement not an image but an eerie sound clip or a song, and always with that same chilling cleverness that characterizes so many of the entries.
- A Muslim In Hogwarts: oh, this site is dear to my heart. A few months ago, two extremely talented tumblr users asked us to take a few minutes and imagine a Muslim witch. And by doing so they immeasurably improved our ability to think beyond the limits of a canon, and besides this they served up a wonderful story. A Muslim In Hogwarts continues that; it looks in-depth at the experiences of two Muslim cousins at Hogwarts. Here, little by little, the authors continue to build on the story they dangled before us this past fall, and it’s a joy.
- PotterverseUSA: tremendously fun. As it says on the tin, this site looks at what might be happening stateside in the Potterverse. Some entries are appalling, some simply charming, others extremely thought-provoking, and as a result the author, with every brief snippet, manages to surprise and delight. Every now and then they also reblog from other HP tumblrs, adding in their own tags; the result is a kind of Potter fic dialogue that could only happen on tumblr, really.
- American Wizarding: similar in theme to Potterverse USA, but very different in execution. No less wonderful, mind. American Wizarding is impressive. Very, very impressive. The writers have put meticulous thought into each of their posts, and it shows; they have a clear vision of how culture, law, society, and history shake down in the magical equivalent of the states. While at first the sidebar, with its perplexing and intriguing categories, seems daunting, poke around a bit. Those links take you to great writing and a whole new fast-expanding magical world.
- Department of Magical Education: I like the thought of throwing in one resource for the writers among us with every one of these posts. You couldn’t find a better resource than the Department of Magical Education, which collects images and posts that might be relevant to herbology, potions, astronomy, history of magic, or any one of the other magical disciplines. As a writer who is often inspired by images, I had to click away after a while. Or else I would have spent my whole day, well. Writing.
The buzzfeed post also lists the Postmodern Potter Compendium. Readers here have linked me to it as well, and to the Logbook of the US Department of Spell Regulation. I haven’t had time to look through these yet so it feels disingenuous to rec them, but know that they come highly recommended from other people. As I explore them, I may come back and update the list with my thoughts. Until then, I link to them briefly here because in a very short amount of time they’ve become places that fellow fans love to visit. That, I think, tells you all you need to know.
RE-REBLOGGING THIS AS A TEXT POST AND NOT A LINK BECAUSE IT ALL DESERVES TO BE SEEN
Good call, there.
nah man just imagine Tonks during her years at Hogwarts making herself look like Dumbledore for no real reason other than to confuse the hell out of other students by plopping down next to them and asking them weirdass questions like if they’ve ironed their socks in the last week and then walking away
Imagine Dumbledore realising she’s doing it and joining in so that sometimes there are two Dumbledores talking to one student.
"Hufflepuffs are known to have good friends in Slytherin. Hufflepuffs are some of the few who won’t judge based on negative rumours. This means they’re the most likely to approach Slytherins and help them when in need. This makes amazingly loyal friends between the houses. Mess with a Hufflepuff, and you’ll likely find a Slytherin getting revenge for the more forgiving house."
HELL YEAH FUCKING RIGHT
it’s true doe
Harry Potter books covers from around the world.
sirius gets a baby girl and names her orange and he’s just so happy and proud and he tells everyone he meets hey this is orange, she’s the new black
you have no idea how angry this makes me
and when sirius dies she will be the orphan black
OKAY, SO, MY DAD COMES IN AND HANDS ME A LETTER TODAY AND HE WAS LIKE “well I don’t know what’s happening but I’m pretty sure this is for you” AND THIS IS WHAT HE HANDS ME:
so naturally I OPEN IT.
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I WAS EXPECTING TO FIND
someone legitimately took the time and money to write out this letter EXACTLY as it appears in Goblet of Fire, and COVER IT IN STAMPS. THEY EVEN SEALED IT WITH WAX.
I DON’T KNOW WHO THE FUCK DID THIS
WHAT IS HAPPENING